It won’t break if it falls, good use of your old paper plus it’s a nice decor !
By Jyotsna Shenoy
- Thick chart or old calendar paper
- Take a thick sheet of paper and cut out a square piece of dimensions 10 cm into 10 cm.
- Divide the cut out square into four long pieces as shown and cut it out to form thin strips.
- Take a single strip and lay it out on a plane surface.
- Fold it in half along its length to form a crease in the center.
- Take the extreme ends of the strip and fold it inwards in the direction of the central crease.
- The strip takes shape of a pentagon.
- Invert the strip.
- Fold the bottom square ends in a triangular form towards the center.
- Fold the bottom triangle ends in the upper direction to form an isosceles triangle.
- Fold the strip again along the symmetric line. This is a single piece having two triangle ends and two insertion flaps on top.
Repeat the above steps till you obtain multiple pieces. The final product requires about 500 pieces.
- For the initial stage, take 3 folded pieces with one of them at the top center flanked by the other two. For reference the center piece is piece ‘C’, the one on the left, piece ‘A’ and on the right, piece ‘B’.
- Insert the left triangle end of piece ‘C’ in the right flap of piece ‘A’ and the right triangle end of piece ‘C’ in the left flap of piece ‘B’. Apply glue on the ends to keep them in place.
Repeat the steps by arranging pieces consecutively to form a continuous chain. Continue the steps depending on the size of the final product desired and glue together the extreme ends to form a circular chain. The final step is shown above with the bottom part kept upright.
- Hold the structure firmly and insert more pieces at the bottom part of the structure. This will form the base of the vase.
- Keep the vase with the top part upright and insert more pieces on the topmost layer. Repeat the layers until the structure forms shape.
I give my credit to Mr. MRC Nagaraj uncle who taught me this craft which requires enormous patience and attention to nearly perfect it. He is the reason behind the enlightenment and inspiration I have attained while building up this post. The fact that it is my first post makes it all the more special for me!